Sports, Leadership, and Changing the World
In this edition of DestinationGreen I want to quickly discuss leadership using the language of sports (especially since the Olympics just concluded), update the schedule from the Green Sports Alliance for the next Greener Cleaning in Sport Facilities workshops, and provide an update on the new sustainability program that ISSA is launching to help their warehouse distribution members.
Leadership: Recently I had the honor of giving a talk on leadership at a meeting of the Leadership Institute hosted by the Healthy Schools Campaign (HSC). Check out some of my favorite sports leaders and quotes in the right hand column.
It was an awesome event with 80 attendees representing leaders in K-12 and higher education. All shared the belief that children, regardless of their background, age, race, religion or affluence, deserve to go to school in a building that is clean, healthy, comfortable and safe.
Based on this, the group discussed what leadership truly and practically means – and how we can help all kids and institutions, including those still beginning their Green Cleaning journey.
My congratulations to HSC for demonstrating their leadership and willingness to think outside the box. And as a reminder, HSC will be doing a two-day event during the ISSA Convention in Chicago on Green Cleaning in Schools. So, if you work with schools, this might be a great opportunity for you.
Green Sports Alliance: I don’t know about you, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Olympics. While I would like to have watched more basketball (admittedly, I am a basketball junkie), it was a great opportunity to watch elite performers in so many sports – swimming and diving, track & field, boxing and wrestling, golf, equestrian and more.
- The Colorado Rockies will be hosting an event at Coors Field on September 27
- The Washington Nationals will be hosting an event at Nationals Park on November 16
- And on October 27, there will be a special event hosted by ISSA (International Sanitary Supply Association) during their annual convention, which will include a Greener Cleaning in Sports Facilities workshop. Attendees will also have the opportunity to visit with over 700 exhibitors of cleaning products. Please let me know if you want additional info on any of these events.
1. Benchmarking of energy, water, waste, fuel and other operational issues to help them better manage their resources and identify opportunities to save money;
2. Educational sessions using world-class experts from USGBC, EPA and others to help the distributors actually improve their performance; and
3. Awards/recognition that will include being recognized before the opening keynote at the upcoming ISSA Convention.